Are you looking for a career change? Or are you trying to land your first job? No matter what the case is, you are here because you want to know what it takes to start a career as a mortgage adviser. Well, here are the top tips to become a mortgage adviser:
- Learn what you can about the job.
Like any other job, you need to be prepared before you start looking for open positions. So the first step you have to take before you become a mortgage adviser is to learn all that you can about the job. For example, what does a mortgage adviser do? What responsibilities do the job come with? What will be expected of you when you take this role?
The good news for you is, because you’re here reading this post, you’ve already taken the first step towards your career goal. Congratulations! And if you want to learn more about how you can become a mortgage adviser, keep reading.
- Enroll in financial training courses.
You can find great opportunities and build an exciting career in the financial industry with the help of financial training courses. These financial training courses, like Simply Academy Mortgage Adviser Courses, will help you earn certificates that are pre-requisites of the job. For instance, in the United Kingdom, the Certificate in Mortgage Advice and Practice (CeMAP) 1, 2 and 3 are required to become a mortgage adviser, but you can only obtain these after passing different tests. Simply Academy will prepare you for the exams that you need to take.
- Prepare for tests.
While financial training courses will guide you through everything you need to know about the job, you still need to allocate roughly 200 hours for studying and revising for the tests. This number comes from the official exam board. Depending on your progress, this can take anywhere from a few months to a few years, but that will be all worth it once you obtain your certificates.
To prepare for the tests, you can use resources that have been recommended by the official exam board. They have a list of online resources and textbooks which you should take full advantage of. Even though there are these resources available, it is still recommended by past exam-takers that you must enroll in a financial training course so that you are fully prepared for the certification exam.
- Develop your skills.
What skills do you need to become a mortgage adviser? Well, there are three important skills that you need to develop:
- Dedication. Passion is necessary in any job. If you’re heart is not in the work you do, then you can’t expect yourself to be successful in it.
- Adaptability. Each customer is made unique. You will meet different clients who have different mortgage needs, so you have to adapt to each client’s situation and deal with the challenges they are facing with solutions tailored for them.
- Communication. You have to be able to communicate ideas clearly so that clients understand the advice you’re giving. At the same time, you need to have good listening skills so that you can identify what the clients really need.
These four tips will help you start your journey towards becoming a mortgage adviser. With enthusiasm and hard work, you will surely reach your career goal.